Taliban Officials Say International Flights at Kabul Airport Will Resume
Thursday’s flight to Doha was a major step in resolving an impasse that has left scores of foreigners stranded in Afghanistan.
A Qatari jet carries more than 100 foreigners from Kabul.
The Taliban allowed more than 100 foreigners, including Americans, to fly out of the Kabul airport on a Qatari jet. It was the first international passenger flight to leave Afghanistan since the end of a frantic U.S. military evacuation.CreditCredit…Victor J. Blue for The New York Times
The first international passenger flight to depart Afghanistan since the frenzied U.S. military evacuation ended late arrivd on Thursday with more than 100 foreigners, including Americans, aboard.
“We can confirm that flight has safely landed in Qatar,” Emily Horne, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council, said in a statement on Thursday afternoon that expressed gratitude to the government of Qatar for sending the plane and facilitating the flight.
The statement also offered a measured assessment of coordination with the Taliban, who have resumed control of the country after a 20-year war with the United States and its allies.
“The Taliban have been cooperative in facilitating the departure of American citizens and lawful permanent residents on charter flights from HKIA,” the statement said, referring to Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul. “They have shown flexibility, and they have been businesslike and professional in our dealings with them in this effort. This is a positive first step.”
At a news conference earlier in the day at the airport, Dr. Mutlaq bin Majed al-Qahtani, a special envoy from Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the passengers would head to their final destinations after reaching Qatar. He called the resumption of flights from Kabul “a historic day in the history of Afghanistan.”
Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesman for the Taliban, thanked Qatar for its assistance in getting the airport running and flying in 50 tons of aid on Thursday morning. He said that the reopening was an “opportunity to call on all Muslim and international countries to lend a helping hand to the Afghan people and start delivering humanitarian aid.”
A U.S. official familiar with the negotiations who spoke only on the condition of anonymity said that Americans and other third-country nationals had been cleared to depart on the flight to Qatar.
The Taliban agreed to allowed Qatar to fly the American citizens out after being pressed by the longtime U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, and after Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken met with Qatar’s leaders this week in Doha, the U.S. official said.
Those who checked in for the flight included scores of Canadians, and a handful of U.S. and British citizens, and the process was colored by a sense of relief, a stark contrast to the desperation and chaos at the airport just over a week ago.
A 42-year-old passenger from Toronto, who identified himself only by his first name, Safi, was among those passing through security and planning to board the waiting Boeing 777.
He said that he had tried to leave during the evacuation but had given up as chaos enveloped the streets outside the airport.
“Things are good,” he said. “It seems the authorities are keeping their promises.”
The flight was the first step in resolving a diplomatic impasse that has left scores of Americans and other international workers stranded in Afghanistan. However, there has been no indication that the Taliban will allow the tens of thousands of Afghans who qualify for emergency American visas to leave.
Taliban and foreign officials said that Afghans with dual citizenship would be allowed to leave, but it was unclear whether any were on the first flight.
A flight carrying more than 100 foreigners left Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, and landed in Qatar on Thursday. It remained unclear whether dozens of Americans and hundreds of Afghans waiting in Mazar-i-Sharif would be allowed to fly out of the country. Credit…The New York Times
It also remained unclear whether charter flights from the airport in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, where dozens of Americans and hundreds of Afghans were waiting to leave the country, would be allowed to fly.
Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday at the U.S. air base in Ramstein, Germany, Mr. Blinken said the Taliban bore the entire blame for the inability of charter flights to leave Mazar-i-Sharif.
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken meeting with an Afghan family on Wednesday at the U.S. air base in Ramstein, Germany.Credit…Pool photo by Olivier Douliery
“The Taliban are not permitting the charter flights to depart,” Mr. Blinken said. “They claim that some of the passengers do not have the required documentation. While there are limits to what we can do without personnel on the ground without an airport with normal security procedures in place, we are going to do everything in our power to support those flights and to get them off the ground.”
Senator Angus King of Maine, an independent who sits on the Senate Intelligence and Armed Services Committees, was cautiously optimistic on Thursday morning about Americans elsewhere in Afghanistan being able to depart from the Kabul airport, although he noted the journey could be “treacherous and difficult.” But he said it was still unclear how many who wanted to leave remained in Afghanistan, or how they would get to the capital.
“I don’t want to sound like I have a great deal of confidence in the Taliban,” Mr. King said, adding, “All I can say is that it appears that, thus far, the Taliban has honored their commitment to allow Americans to leave.”
The Taliban blamed the Americans for delays and said that as U.S. forces left last week, they rendered the radar and other equipment at the Kabul airport inoperable.
Engineers from Qatar, alongside workers from Turkey, have been working to repair the damage and to come up with a security protocol that would allow international passenger flights to resume.